dynamic typing questions

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Sun Dec 21 17:52:43 EST 2003

"John J. Lee" <jjl at pobox.com> wrote in message
news:8765g9olwz.fsf at pobox.com...
> "John Roth" <newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> writes:
>
> > "Robert Brewer" <fumanchu at amor.org> wrote in message
> > news:mailman.378.1071946544.9307.python-list at python.org...
> [...]
> > When I started in '65, we had one system where we were
> > lucky to get one turnaround a week. That wasn't usual,
> > most of the systems had one turnaround per day. Planning
> > beats flailing around in the debugger any day.
>
> :-)
>
> I found it interesting to hear a few years back that Linus Torvalds
> didn't like using a kernel debugger.  Debugging that kind of low-level
> code without a debugger sounds scary to me, but it appears he knows
> what he's doing...

Not putting the defects into the code in the first place
does have a certain amount of attractiveness. Projects
like Linux and Python succeed because the core
developers are people that know how to write clean
code the first time without having to massage it with a
sledgehammer to make it behave.

John Roth