I see advice on how to debug a python module that hangs up the process

JD lists at webcrunchers.com
Wed Dec 17 16:20:32 EST 2003

On Dec 16, 2003, at 9:35 PM, Gustavo Campanelli wrote:

> I'm still newbie at Python, but not at programing, so this is just a
> wild guess. Have you checked that you are not using a reserved word as
> function or parameter name?

We are absolutely sure about that.   What I think is going on,  is
there might be some fluke where there might be
an Intel instruction that might cross a memory segment.

We tried selectively cutting out code in the offending function,  to
determine exactly what part of the function
it hangs up at,   and we get different results each time.   The problem
is not repeatable or predictable,  and
this is why we need to have some kind of improved control over the
Python runtime "engine" or mechanism.

I can HACK the function into working,  by doing things to change the
length of the code,  but this isn't going to
solve the problem or give me the REAL picture of what's going on in the
code.    I need a real low level mechanism
that would allow me to run python under control of a low level
debugger,   one that would allow me to break out
of the function and determine really where it hangs up.

> If the function hangs when it's invoked, are you using some Object as
> part of the call? Have you checked that object?

I think it's at a much lower level then this.  The exact function HAD
been working in the past,  but other modifications
of the code has somehow made it so this function is now hanging up.

I think this is a job for kernal-trace,  or gdb (low level debugger),
and this is what I need to now how to do.

John