UserLinux chooses Python as "interpretive language" of choice

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Sat Dec 20 16:13:16 EST 2003

"Dennis Lee Bieber" <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:2rkeb1-fs3.ln1 at beastie.ix.netcom.com...
> John Roth fed this fish to the penguins on Saturday 20 December 2003
> 04:19 am:
>

> > John Osterhout (TCL). I want a language I can embed in tools as a
> > common scripting language.
> >
>         Given that last entry, I'll speak blasphemy since I feel there is
> fifth candidate. REXX, especially as implemented on the Amiga, /was/
> such a common scripting language without needing to be "embedded"
> within the application/tool (it actually was done in a way that
> permitted one script to glue multiple "tools" together).

Oh, there were a lot of those languages, but that was what
Osterhout wanted for TCL - something that could be embedded
in various tools. He had a problem, and it was lots of tools, each
of which used its own special purpose, completely incompatible
and usually poorly implemented language.

REXX was very much a niche specific language, mostly on
IBM systems (because IBM also wanted to consolidate
languages.) It grew beyond there, but not by all that much.
Part of it's quirky charm is the way that it's i/o system faithfully
mirrored the old VM/CMS system.

John Roth