UserLinux chooses Python as "interpretive language" of choice

Oren Tirosh oren-py-l at hishome.net
Sat Dec 20 07:15:21 EST 2003

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 07:29:57PM -0500, John Roth wrote:
> "Ville Vainio" <ville.spammehardvainio at spamtut.fi> wrote in message
> news:du7ekv0z7g3.fsf at amadeus.cc.tut.fi...
> > I don't know if you have seen this before, but here goes:
> >
> > http://text.userlinux.com/white_paper.html
> >
> > There is a jab at Python, though, mentioning that Ruby is more
> > "refined".
>
> I'm not sure about refined, but it does seem to have several
> things that I think I'd like. One is a much
> better way of handling anonymous functions, aka "blocks."
> Another is the pervasive use of the visitor pattern, and

I've always considered the visitor pattern as a rather poor substitute
for generators, not as a something worth having for its own sake. Using
generators instead of visitors+anonymous functions obviously reduces the
need for anonymous functions (not that it's any excuse for not having
something better than Python's lambdas!).

    Oren