Newbie question about memory management

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 30 05:07:11 EST 2003

Oh Kyu Yoon wrote:

> I am writing my first python program, and I have to deal with several lists
> of double precision numbers that are about 10,000,000 in length.
> If I have 5 such lists, 5 x 10,000,000 x 8bytes ~ 400 MB which is too much
> for the computer memory.
> Does anyone have better strategies to do this?

Yes; keep them on disk. All of them, most of them, or partially,
you don't tell us what you're doing with the lists, and so it
is hard to guess what would be the best approach.

--Irmen.

P.S. also look at the 'array' module.