intro to python books

Asun Friere afriere at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 14 19:35:06 EST 2003

Kamus of Kadizhar <yan at NsOeSiPnAeMr.com> wrote in message news:<brhmod$8hdu$1 at news3.infoave.net>...
> I'm looking for a good intro to python book.  I'm very familiar with
> programming, but know nothing of OOP or systems (OS type) programming.

You might consider a book about OOP theory/technique per se.

> So, I need something that covers the finer points of Python - difference
> between ' and " for example - and the greater things beyond that, like
> implicit lists and classes.
>
> I've had good luck with the O'Reilly books in the past ..

Lutz and Asher's 'Learning Python' (from O'Reilly) is about to (has
just?) come out in its 2nd edition (finally), check it out here:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lpython2/

For something comprehensive and fairly recent, you might consider Alex
Martelli's 'Python in a Nutshell.'
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonian/