"Do this, and come back when you're done"

Kamus of Kadizhar yan at NsOeSiPnAeMr.com
Sat Dec 13 07:44:00 EST 2003

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Kamus of Kadizhar <yan at NsOeSiPnAeMr.com> writes:
>
>>Is there any way to rewrite each half of the function to run in the
>>background, so to speak, and then have a master process that waits on
>>the results?  This would cut execution time in half more or less.
>

> Sure, use the threading module.

OK, I'll read up on that.  I've written gobs of scientific type code,
but this OS stuff is new to me.

> Think about another aspect of what
> you're doing though.  You're comparing the md5's of a local and remote
> copy of the same file, to see if they're the same.  Are you trying to
> detect malicious tampering?

No, actually, both machines are under my control (and in my house).  I'm
slinging large (1GB MOL) files around on an unreliable, slow wireless
network.  I am trying to detect an incomplete copy across the network.
The local machine is the video player and the remote machine is the
archive server.  My kids have a habit of just shutting down the video
server, resulting in incomplete transfers to the archives.

If it's appropriate for this newsgroup, I'd like to post the entire
effort for comments (it's my first bit of pyton code.)  So far, python
has been the easiest language to learn I've ever come across.  I tried
learning perl, and it was a disaster....  Too convoluted.  Python is a
breath of fresh air.  Also, the docs and support here is excellent.
:-)  My thanks to all the volunteers who put in time to build python.

-Kamus

--
     o__      |  If you're old, eat right and ride a decent bike.