What GUI toolkit looks the best?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.nospam at removeme.free.fr
Thu Dec 11 18:12:45 EST 2003

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Bruno Desthuilliers <bdesth.nospam at removeme.free.fr> writes:
>
>>>I guess
>>>I can get the client to pay
>>
>>Why ? It's free (as in free beer and free speech)
>

> I mean for the build tools (Visual C++ or whatever).  I can't really
> use the WxWindows source code without a way to compile it.

You can build wxWindows with the free (as in free beer) Borland's bcc5.x
compiler, or with free (as in free beer and free speech) compilers like
Minwg's gcc.

> I'm getting
> discouraged to hear that WxWindows itself has numerous bugs though.

I did not used wxWindows intensively, but I never had a crash in three
years. I couldn't say the same about apps written with MS VisualBasic or
like :(.

Every non-trivial code does have bugs. Python has bugs, gcc has bugs,
not talking about msvc. I think that some posts in this thread were a
bit of a special case (FUD or bad experience, I can't tell...)

wxWindows has 11 years of existence, and bindings exists for more and
more languages (Javascript, Python, Perl, haskell, lua, Ruby, Eiffel,
and even Java and C#...). I don't think so many developers would spend
personnal time writing bindings to a 'that much buggy' toolkit !-)

Bruno