Socket Programming

Bjorn Pettersen bjorn.pettersen at comcast.net
Fri Dec 26 05:13:44 EST 2003

[posted and mailed]

"trainee" <kamuelaf at verizon.net> wrote in news:S6LGb.5854$UB3.2232
@nwrddc03.gnilink.net:

> Do you think you could recommend a book on Python that includes sockets?

Starting on the web first (it's free :-) the socket howto is probably your
best bet:

  http://www.amk.ca/python/howto/sockets/

You can also look at asynchronous sockets at:

  http://squirl.nightmare.com/medusa/async_sockets.html

When it comes to books, most of them seem to have decent chapters on it. I
like "(the eff-bot guide to) The Standard Python Library", but my copy is
severely dated :-)  I think he finally published it as a "real" book, but I
haven't seen a recent copy...

"Python Programming on Win32" has a short section on sockets that might be
enough, and if you're going to work on win32 systems I'd definitely
recommend it.

The Python Cookbook has a couple of receipes on sockets (and everything
else ;-) You can get the receipes on the web at
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Python/Cookbook/

Finally, I'd be very surprised if "Python in a Nutshell" by Alex Martelli
didn't have the best coverage of them all, however that book is still on my
list so I'll have to let someone else comment on it...

-- bjorn