Trouble building Python2.3.3c1 on WinXP: where's pythonnt_rc.h?

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Fri Dec 12 13:18:40 EST 2003

"vincent wehren" <vincent at visualtrans.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running into trouble building Python2.3.3c1 from source on a Windows XP
> machine.
>
> I'm getting C:\Python-2.3.3c1\PC\python_nt.rc(14) : fatal error RC1015:
> cannot open include file 'pythonnt_rc_d.h'
>
> Is this some magic involving "make_versioninfo.dsw"?
> What gives?
> I am lost here...

I assume you try to build from the tarball downloaded from
www.python.org.

This one has the problem (which will be fixed in 2.3.3 final) that the
make_versioninfo.dsp file has unix-style line endings, and MSVC refuses
to load the project file then.  (The make_versioninfo project creates
the header file you mention).

Try to convert make_versioninfo.dsp to DOS stype line endings (loading
it into wordpad - not notepad - and saving it again is one possibility),
reload the workspace and it should build.

Thomas