The Truth?

Chris Lyon chris.lyon at spritenote.co.uk
Fri Dec 19 11:20:36 EST 2003

"TyBriD" <TyBriD at si.rr.com> wrote in message news:<QhBEb.3003$cM1.894386 at twister.nyc.rr.com>...
> i have 100% no programming experience but i have read some VB6 and parts of
> C++ books never stuck with it because it was to confusing, but i was told
> python is a great place to start is that true?. if so is there specifi parts
> to learn and start off with n why links would be great thanks.

In your position I would consider learning about dictionaries, lists
and tuples initially as (to my mind,TMM) they form the basic units
upon which (TMM) much seems to be built.

You don't say if the object are something you understand or require
but they form a fairly important element of the language. If they are
a concept that is new to you then it is wise to invest time in
understanding how they are built and how to turn programming concepts
into objects. Python certainly makes this easy but it can be
frustrating and it is important not to blame conceptual problems with
objects on python's (TMM) simple implementation. The word self takes
on a life of it's own after a while.

You also don't mention which particular operating system flavour you
are arriving from, although I would guess windows from the visual
basic mention.

There are important differences between linux and windows in the file
handling and path area's which can lead to confusion and irritation.
Learn to use os.path.join() for building your path string's and the
magic numbers for setting read only files in windows are:-

os.chmod(destfile ,33060)                       #Make a Windows file
R/O
os.chmod(destfile ,33206)                       #Make a Windows file
R/W

now some one should be along to disagree with this shortly :)