diferences between 22 and python 23

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Wed Dec 3 15:22:07 EST 2003

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

>Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
>

>>>0xED has never been a valid 7-bit ASCII character.
>>>

>>Sure, but Python used to accept 8-bit characters in the platform's
>>default encoding as part of string characters...
>>

>all 2.3 installs I have give me a DeprecationWarning when I do that,
>not a UnicodeDecodeError.
>
>what version are you using?

Hmm, obviously none of 2.3.  Oops!  Sorry about that.  I had to change
resourcepackage to support this change (user error reports) and hadn't
cottoned on to the fact that it's just a warning.

I haven't upgraded to 2.3 for my general development, so I didn't
realise this wasn't yet a hard error.  I had thought there was a way to
get an ASCII decoding error from the above... hmm.  Guess not...
strange... I've *seen* those errors show up when testing code for a new
version (and I'd though it was of Python).

Enrique, by any chance are you working with a library (such as wxPython)
where the version under 2.2 is a non-unicode build and the version under
2.3 is a unicode build?
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder