dynamic typing question

Jason Tesser JTesser at nbbc.edu
Fri Dec 26 10:16:13 EST 2003

Hi,

<snip>

> Along with everything others have already written--that
> you want to focus on test-driven development, that Python
> is a proven success in Serious Applications, and so on--
> your description raises a few concerns in my mind:
> 1.  Why, in your mind or your teammate's,
>     is dynamic typing a "lack"?  What, pre-
>    cisely, is the benefit of static typing?
>    There are a number of legitimate
>    answers.  It occurs to me that, without
>    precision on which interest you, we
>    might be missing an opportunity to
>    clarify "The Python Way" significantly.

The typing errors that would not be found until runtime.

>2.  Most application-level Python code
>    doesn't--and shouldn't!--employ dynamic
>    typing in any material way.  Does that
>    help?
>3.  Postgres is good stuff.  Its support for
>    Python has improved quite a bit over the
>    past few years.
>4.  My instinct tells me that, yes, you can
>    produce quality results quicker with Py-
>    thon.
>5.  In writing, "the GUI is clunky" about
>    Java, what do you mean?  Are you refer-
>    ring to a particular IDE, or a specific
>    GUI toolkit?  Java has several of each;
>    perhaps alternatives would suit you
>    better.

Java's main gui.  Swing it is slow.

>6.  Are there alternatives to having the
>    two of you write a "package" from
>    scratch?  A LOT of software for college
>    administration has been written already;
>    is none of it appropriate for your situ-
>    ation?

$500,000 to get the level of a product that we need as a complete solution.  There
are a lot of little programs that would meet individual needs, many of which we now
use but we need a complete integrated solution at this point.   We are a Bible
college and do have some unique needs for our students also.

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net