How to share 3rd-party modules between 2.2 and 2.3?

Matthew Wilson matt at overlook.homelinux.net
Wed Dec 3 15:05:09 EST 2003

I have Red Hat 9 installed, which uses python2.2 for lots of system
tasks.  I also installed 2.3 using the rpms available from python.org.

I want to write some CGI scripts that use pgdb.  I want to write the
python scripts using python2.3, but the pgdb.py file is in

/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages

which is not part of sys.path in python2.3.  What is the best way of
sharing these modules?

I don't want to add /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages to my $PYTHONPATH
variable because the apache user doesn't get a log in.

I thought about adding a symbolic link to
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages for every file in
/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages.

Does anyone have a better idea?