Special-purpose extension of Python -- new kinds of objects

Robert Dodier robert_dodier at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 29 11:21:39 EST 2003

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

> robert_dodier at yahoo.com (Robert Dodier) writes:
> >   # "dn" == "decision network", an Ephemeral construct;
> >   # this part is parsed separately from the python code
> >   dn my_example:
> >     chance X:
> >       cpd: gaussian [mean: 25, std_dev: 75]
> >     chance Y:
> >       cpd: gaussian [mean: 12, std_dev: 19]
> >     chance Z = X + Y
>
> I don't see what good this does.  You can do the same thing with
> ordinary Python classes.

Thanks for your interest. I want to make it possible to experiment
with notations that don't correspond to Python syntax. For example,
to write "X ~ gaussian(mu,sigma2)", or to write "Y <- (X1, X2, X3)",
say.

The larger goal is to make the decision model description as
natural as possible for people that work on decision problems.
Development effort should focus on the decision model, which,
in interesting problems, may be much larger and more complex
than the ordinary Python glue code around it.

Languages such as BUGS, S, dot, and Netica express the sorts
of ideas that I want in Ephemeral.

Robert Dodier
--
``Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords,
is no basis for a system of government.'' -- Dennis (MP&THG)