Python on web with mod_python

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Dec 7 21:43:14 EST 2003

Jason Tesser wrote:

> I am thinking about developing a CMS with Python and Postgres.  I am developing
> on a Linux box with Apache 2.  I have used PHP in the past but my at work we are
> considering going with Python as our main devellopment language.  A few
> questions for you guys.
>
> 1. Is it best to just develop in all Pyhton or to use a mixture of PHP and Python?
> Why other than personal feelings?

I wouldn't bother with PHP, for several reasons.  One is that it's
(IMHO) a hodge-podge dog's breakfast of junk that doesn't have real
design behind it, another is that Python can do anything it can do,
and more readably, and a third is that I like to minimize the number
of different technologies used on a given project, to increase
maintainability, and to maintain the sanity of developers.

> 2. What is the best way to template using Python for me to seperate content
> from logic?  All the data that will be displayed in dynamic so I am not sure
> what the best way to template it would be in Python.

http://webware.sourceforge.net/Papers/Templates/ has an overview, and
Googling for "python template language" or similar will give you that
page and dozens more that will give you a good start.

There is no "best way": what is best for you depends on more information
than you've provided, and is largely based on personal preference
anyway.

-Peter