Rekall Binary

root Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Dec 31 16:04:06 EST 2003

It looks like

TotalRekall sells the GPL version for 15 pounds:

http://www.totalrekall.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=CCart&id=16

Which seems in keeping with:

"...small charge for Rekall binary distributions to cover our costs"

By the way, it's still not clear how strong a busness model it is to
give away GPL software and expect to make money off services. Have you
seen what RedHat is now doing?

In any case, I don't think there is anything wrong with charging more
than distribution costs for a binary version of GPL'd program. Creating
binaries that work on various versions of various platforms and
providing a nice installer for them is quite a bit of work. Also, the
GPL is about freedom: not cheap software. The idea is that it a good
thing for all involved for users to have access to source code. That is
very different than providing inexpensive software for folks that can't
figure out how to compile something (or can't be bothered). Those folks
will not be contirbuting to the p[roject, and will not be using the code
in their own projects.

That being said, I'm very happy that I can get so much open source
software in nicely packaged binary (or easy to compile) form. I only
contribute to a VERY SMALL fraction of all the free software I use.

-Chris