More examples in the docs?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Dec 8 12:59:15 EST 2003

"Thomas Guettler" <guettli at thomas-guettler.de> wrote in message
news:pan.2003.12.08.15.00.38.101419 at thomas-guettler.de...
> Hi!
>
> I read "How Python is developed" (comp.lang.python.announce),
> and think that there could be more examples in the docs.
>
> One think I really like to see:
>  An example with mycmp(a, b)... in the
>  documentation for sort().
>
> I would add DSU (Decorate, sort, undecorate) there, too.
>
> The re module would needs more examples, too.
>
> I will have some spare time around christmas.
>
> What is the best way to do this? Send patches
> via the patch tracker of sourceforge?

Raymond Hettinger is expanding the tutorial to include modules in the
standard lib.  I am sure this will include re (or at least a reference to
something).  He posted a draft (for comments,etc) to pydev list on 12/3.
You can access as newsgroup gmane.comp.python at news.gmane.org or check
mail archives thru python.org.

I would check with Ref Manual maintainers (there is a special mail address
in the online version at python.org) before proposing examples to add.  It
is already large and I think the idea is to make it accurate and complete
and improve tutorial for usage examples.

TJR