Anyone use ELSE minor-mode in Emacs?

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun Dec 21 18:55:11 EST 2003

[John J Lee]
> [François Pinard]

> >   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca/showfile.html?name=opinions/editors.all

> Well worth reading, thanks.

Thanks for the appreciation! :-)

> Any good URLs for vim's Python support (scripting vim with Python, I
> mean)?

URLs, I do not know, but the Linux I use offers:

   /usr/share/vim/vim62/doc/if_pyth.txt

which holds the information one needs.  Succinct, but complete.  You may
have to re-install Vim from sources.  The installation recipe I used is
not far from:

   wget ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-6.2.tar.bz2
   tar xfj vim-6.2.tar.bz2
   pushd vim62
   ./configure --prefix=/usr \
      --enable-pythoninterp --with-features=big --enable-multibyte
   make install
   popd

To quickly check that it works, once in the new Vim, try:

  :py print 3 + 5

and you should see `8' in the bottom line.

> I'm currently thinking of ditching pine (for something, like pine,
> that's cross-platform, does IMAP well, is free (beer) but also libre,
> has a decent disconnected mode, preferably written in a high-level
> language, and that doesn't offer remote buffer overflows on its
> feature list!... except such a beast doesn't seem to exist).

Gnus was really marvelous, nothing can really compare with it.  I looked
around a bit for a replacement, and the best I came with is Mutt.  I
did not consider Pine for long, but do not remember why I excluded it.
Getting Mutt and some of my Python scripts to really cooperate required
some doing, and a few kludges, and I still feel very far from having a
mail agent offering Python as an extension language.  I also saw Python
extensible mail agents, but which had some weakness in the underlying
mail engine, so far that I could judge.  Mutt is not perfect overall,
but I'm trying to compromise with it for now, it's still give-and-take.

But at least, I now feel installed in a much more modular design for my
work habits, and if I find something that pleases me more than Mutt, I
could change this aspect without having to change everything else with
it.  In my case at least, the big move is now part of the past, the main
suffering is behind.

> | I still have no idea on the Vim capabilities for controlling highlighting

> I've always thought the way to do this must be to allow both simple
> high-level language (elisp, python) ways of doing this for covering the
> broad range of languages &c., and some kind of low-level (C, I guess)
> plugin standard for wiring up editors to things like the Python parser.
> Who wants to reimplement the Python parser, after all?

This is about editing SGML, isn't it?  I wrote something for Emacs
called `xxml.el', that those a job at combining colour attributes that I
suspect to be beyond the Vim way of doing such things.  But I may be
wrong, as my knowledge of Vim is still very fragmentary.

My associate, who is a linguist more than in computer science, usually
likes to adopt and stick with my work habits, because I can then more
fully support him.  He does not object switching to Vim from Emacs as I
did, but _only given_ that Vim has the equivalent of `xxml.el' first.
The fact is that I understand him.  How can I politely say it...  Euh!
Humph!  OK: I am still unsuccessful at learning to enjoy HTML editing
support in Vim, as it currently stands! :-) I pondered a bit about how
I could rewrite `xxml.el' in Python, for later becoming a Vim extension
say, but I guess it would require a fairly good amount of work on the
Python side only, and no doubt that I would also need to learn Vim
advanced usage much more deeply than I know it currently.