Moving around in a string

Mark Engle engSpideRlem at pdxThiS.edu
Sat Dec 6 06:08:02 EST 2003

Ryan Spencer wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 09:13:53 +0000, Troels Therkelsen wrote:
>
> > This sounds suspiciously like homework, but...

> > 'rangeOay'
> >
> > In other words, you can index strings the same way as any other
> > sequence, [0] is the first element of the sequence, [1] the second,
> > [-1] is the last, and so forth.
> >
> > See also the standard documentation on sequences:
> >
> >     http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/typesseq.html
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Troels Therkelsen
>
> Hey Troels,
>
> 	Thanks for the advice, Pulled it off by.
>
> [start code]
>
> def pig_latin(word):
>
> 	space = word[0]
>
> 	result = word[1:]+space+"ay"
> 	print result
>
> [end code]
>
> This all leads me to another problem. In my recent attempts I've
> been trying to learn how to parse sentences and such down more and
> more (by amt. of characters, words, lines, etc.) If you don't mind
> another question, how do I go about say, parsing for words in a
> string?
>
> I would logically conclude to somehow find a way to declare that
> everything with a space between it (or for every space) add one to a
> 'word_count' variable maybe, but, the question for that would be how
> do I get the system to search the string for a certain character,
> especially if it is a space?
>
> Thanks a ton,
>
> ~Ryan

I'm also new to Python, but I think I can point you in the right
direction.  Look into split() in library documentation.

http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-string.html

The library documentation is a _very_ good reference.  Read that
whole page and you will find bunches of useful information.  I
found it to be very clear.

Mark