Using python as client-side scripting language in IE 6

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Tue Dec 16 10:54:50 EST 2003

"popov" <google at evpopov.com> wrote in message
news:7eecf173.0312160336.1160a340 at posting.google.com...
> I try with no luck to use python in a simple html page:

> <script language="Python">
> window.alert('test')
> window.document.write('test')
> </script>
>
> When opened in IE6 SP1, that does nothing (no error but no message box
> / nothing written in the page).
>
> I ran win32comext\axscript\client\pyscript.py and pyscript_rexec.py to
> register python as a scripting engine. No errors from those scripts.
>
> As I understand it and from what I have read in this forum and
> elsewhere, it should work, but it doesn't: what am I doing wrong ?
>
> Note: I have installed the latest win32all extensions (163) / I'm
> working on a W2K Server box (SP3).

I doubt if it will work for a while. It doesn't work on my system
either, and a quick check of the pyscript_rexec.py module says
that it will enable Rexec support. Rexec support was removed from
base Python in release 2.2.3 and later, so I doubt if this is ever
going to work until ActiveState (or Mark Hammond) changes the
base code to use Exec instead of RExec.

John Roth