Flat file database

Art Decco please.dont at email.com
Tue Dec 23 02:07:32 EST 2003

Is there any Python module designed to simplify the use of a plain text file
as a flat file database?

I realize that's a bit vague, but I'm just wondering about the best approach
for creating a little database-backed CGI app using Python on a server with
no real database available. The server belongs to the ISP, and I don't get
to install "real" software, but they do have a cgi-bin directory for me, and
they do have a relatively recent Python, so I've got Python cgi apps working
via "#!/usr/local/bin/python". I can get the apps to write and read plain
text files right in the cgi-bin directory, too, so I can use that as a
simple, flat file database.

Now, the question is, do I write all the database
access/update/sort/search/etc. features myself, or is there some Python
module that has implemented some useful functions that I should build on.
I'm pretty new to Python (though not to programming), so if there's a
standard way most skilled Pythonistas would approach something like this,
I'd like to know what it is. And if there's something that goes beyond flat
file and has some relational support as well, all the better.

Thanks for any suggestions.