Efficient MD5 (or similar) hashes

Kamus of Kadizhar yan at NsOeSiPnAeMr.com
Sun Dec 7 19:49:58 EST 2003

ANother newbie question:

I have large files I'm dealing with.  Some 600MB -1.2 GB in size, over a
slow network.  Transfer of one of these files can take 40 minutes or an
hour.

I want to check the integrity of the files after transfer.  I can check
the obvious - date, file size - quickly, but what if I want an MD5 hash?

 From reading the python docs, md5 reads the entire file as a string.
That's not practical on a 1 GB file that's network mounted.

The only thing I can think of is to set up an inetd daemon on the server
that will spit out the md5 hash if given the file path/name.

Any other ideas?

-Kamus

--
What am I on?
I'm on my bike,                         o__