Standalone client database for Python?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Wed Dec 17 13:10:21 EST 2003

Gustavo Campanelli wrote:

> What are our options for a standalone (that is one that's not
> client/server) easily accesible from Python?
> I'm not going to ask for special features as this is only to see what
> is avaiable and used (most used most probably meaning well maintained
> project).

Well, here's what jumps to mind:

PySQLite -- SQL based relational
Metakit -- Direct API based relational, the core library is *very*
widely used.
MkSQL -- Less-heavily-used SQL implementation on top of Metakit
Gadfly -- SQL based IIRC, never actually used it myself, is now
distributed with Zope 3 IIRC
KirbyBase -- Never used it, but apparently embeddable

AnyDBM -- e.g. BSDDB, very low-level string:value on-disk-dictionary
mechanisms
mxBeeBase -- low level mechanism for creating databases

Also, as a general rule, you can answer these kinds of questions by
browsing Parnassus', which is quite a useful little resource.
http://www.vex.net/parnassus/

Have fun,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher