Lists and Tuples

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.com
Fri Dec 5 18:15:45 EST 2003

"Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote in message

> I'm never dead wrong.
>
>     Guido van Rossum, "State of the Python Union", March 2003:
>     http://www.python.org/doc/essays/ppt/pycon2003/pycon2003.ppt

>     + It's a matter of user education
>
>     + Example: lists vs. tuples
>
>         this is often misrepresented as "tuple are readonly lists",
>         which is *wrong*
>
>         use cases are quite different
>
>         *but*... tuples also usable as readonly lists

> I expect an apology.
>
> </F>

I should know better than to have anything to say here.  But I did
once start a thread on this subject, having been confused a) by the
questions being addressed here and b) specifically by a definitive
statement Guido had made on the subject.

And was surprised - I admit pleasantly - that some folks with
recognizable names in the commumity, and close to Guido, commented
that Guido's take on this subject were his own.  And there were other
views, as well.

And then there was discussion that certainly helped me understand what
it was that Guido meant.  And the discussion was helpful, to me.

But am surprised to see a point trumped here, simply by quoting Guido.

Art