pointers

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Sun Dec 28 21:59:39 EST 2003

"Jp Calderone" <exarkun at intarweb.us> wrote in message
news:mailman.150.1072662746.684.python-list at python.org...
> On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 01:48:36PM -0500, John Roth wrote:
> >
> > "km" <km at mrna.tn.nic.in> wrote in message
> > news:mailman.142.1072628533.684.python-list at python.org...
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > may i know  if  there is any plans of  introducing the concept of
pointers
> > into python language as in C ?  (atleast in future versions ?)
> >

> > Outside of the sheer, unadulterated wrongheadedness of
> > the idea, it occured to me to wonder. How would one do
> > this, and what benefit would it serve? Today, one can bind
> > anything to almost anything, so I'm having some inability
> > to see what one would do with pointers.
> >

>   Easily.  A pointer is basically just an integer, with a couple minor
extra
> operations defined upon it..  An extension type that implemented the
proper
> behavior would probably only be a couple hours work to implement.
>
>   As for what benefit it would serve... I can't see any.

But what does it point to? What does it connect? Are we talking
about memory? I presume that's what you're talking about from
your response, but how would something like that map into a
virtual machine environment, especially one with indirect access
to the various objects? It seems like it needs a lot more definition.

John Roth