Linux GUI for python?

Eric Brunel eric.brunel at N0SP4M.com
Fri Dec 12 03:56:58 EST 2003

Jules Dubois wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 23:20:01 GMT, in article
> <news:pan.2003.12.11.23.20.01.662183 at NOSPAMcomcast.net>, Lord Jester wrote:
>

>>Looking for any suggestions for a GUI for python
>>under linux.
>

> I used Tkinter for about 10 weeks.  I didn't like it at first but the more
> I used it the more I liked it.  There's some good (but incomplete)
> documentation at
>
>   http://www.nmt.edu/tcc/help/lang/python/docs.html

I'd recommend "Thinking in Tkinter" at:

http://www.ferg.org/thinking_in_tkinter/all_programs.html

for beginning and "An introduction to Tkinter" at:

http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/index.htm

for more advanced things and reference. And when you're really fluent in
Tkinter, then you can use tcl/tk's manual pages for a really complete reference:

http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.4

You'll have to convert tcl syntax to Python's, but once you're used to it, it's
not really difficult.

> Alan Gauld has written a useful tutorial but I've lost the URL.

It's here:

http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/tutgui.htm

part of his "Learning to program" pages:

http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/

But I do prefer "Thinking in Tkinter".

> PyGTK looks very good to me.  There is a very nice tutorial at
> http://www.moeraki.com/pygtktutorial/ and reference at
> get it through NNTP courtesy of the nice people at http://www.gmane.org/
>
> Finally, Alex Martelli says (Message-ID:
> <7Ypob.72491$e5.2660364 at news1.tin.it>), "Yes, eric + pyqt + qt _IS_ a great

HTH
--
- Eric Brunel <eric dot brunel at pragmadev dot com> -