multi-threaded app hangs

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Wed Dec 10 06:24:52 EST 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Sudipto Biswas wrote:

> I have written a multi-threaded (about 8 threads) networking application
> with a text-mode interface. It writes to a trace-file in the background.
> Additionally I have also given some debug prints to STDOUT from
> different threads. The program runs fine on Python-2.2.2/RH 8.0.
>
> But when I move to Python-2.2.2/RH-9.0 the program behaves oddly. It
> stops suddenly and *does not* give the continueous stream of expected
> output in STDOUT and tracefile.

I hear that RH-9 changed some threads support at the kernel level, but
there is apparently a way to tell it to revert to the older behaviour.

Sorry I can't give chapter and verse - I've just seen references to this
in other contexts (ISTR something on kerneltrap.org).

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  (pref) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au             (alt) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/               |        Australia