UserLinux chooses Python as "interpretive language" of choice

Ville Vainio ville.spammehardvainio at spamtut.fi
Sat Dec 20 12:23:03 EST 2003

"John Roth" <newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> writes:

> > Most importantly, why would anyone even care? Ability to optionally
> > invoke a "call" operation on an object implicitly seems utterly
> > worthless to me.
>
> That may not be one of your common coding mistakes.

It was when I started. Not after a while.

> My mind doesn't quite get the point of inserting an
> otherwise useless pair of parenthesis, and consequently
> it's fairly high on the list of common coding errors I make
> that causes run time errors. Of course, rigidly applying

Don't something like pychecker detect these things?

> TDD will bring those errors up rapidly so they don't
> lurk to cause problems later, but not having them in the
> first place would be even better.

Not if they go against the fundamental ideas of how the language
works.

> is looking at what it's doing right and asking if some of those
> things might not improve Python.

Hasn't Alex Martelli done something like this recently? Alex?

> As I said, my intent is not to inspire anyone to switch. My intent
> is to ask whether there is anything they're doing that would be
> (in concept if not in implementation) an improvement to Python.

Sounds like a morally correct motive :-).

--
Ville Vainio   http://www.students.tut.fi/~vainio24