[Mailman-Developers] python is slow

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Mon Dec 29 15:03:05 EST 2003

"JCM" <joshway_without_spam at myway.com> wrote in message
news:bsq0i1$pfj$1 at fred.mathworks.com...
> John Roth <newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> wrote:
> > I have some vague memories of a speed comparison
> > done in conjunction with a programming problem or
> > challenge. Python seemed to be pretty similar to
> > Perl, and lots better than TCL. However, that's memory,
> > and I don't have the reference to hand. Someone else
> > might. The comparison included C++, Java and the
> > rest of the usual suspects. I believe REXX was the
> > real dog, though.
>
> http://www.ipd.uka.de/~prechelt/Biblio/jccpprt_computer2000.pdf

That's the one I thought I remembered. Thanks.

In interpreting it, note that the Python was 1.5.2, which is quite
a bit slower than the current 2.3 release. Also, more recent
versions of Java have done a lot both to speed it up and
fix the memory consumption problems. Time marches on, and
at least some of the changes are all to the good.

The bottom line is that Eric Raymond has no basis in
fact for his statement about Python with respect to the
other popular scripting languages.

John Roth