Naming conventions for iterator methods?

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Tue Dec 23 14:43:00 EST 2003

François Pinard <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> writes:
[...]
> [1] I mean, nearly French, as the necessary diacritics may not be
> used in Python identifiers, which is a common and constant source of
> displeasure to those of us who especially like working in French.  Oh,
> Python does not differ on this aspect than most other programming
> languages.  However, as Python is so satisfying in many other areas, we
> had some vague hope that he might become better in this particular one.
> Especially given that, for a tiny moment, it once worked correctly for
> French -- but sadly, this was the consequence of a Python bug which has
> been corrected since.

I don't feel qualified, or morally righteous <wink> enough to have a
hard opinion on whether this would be a good thing, as an English
monoglot, but I don't see what the problem is with adding this
feature.  It seems only fair and symmetrical to allow unicode
identifiers.  Yes, it'd confuse the hell out of people like me to have
to read a Python program written in Korean characters.  But it'd
confuse me just as much if it were written in Korean but
transliterated into Roman characters in plain old ASCII.

Has this been a problem Java, in practice?

Or is the problem simply that it's considered that there's not good
enough unicode support in editors and other tools yet?  Again, I'm
surprised if that's the case with all this Java code floating around.

Has it been PEPed?  Or is GvR's opinion on it obvious enough that
nobody has bothered?

John