New style classes and rich comparison

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Dec 18 09:35:15 EST 2003

stain at stud.ntnu.no (Stian Søiland) writes:

> Could anyone explain to me why this does not work as intended?

[snippo]

> It seems that __eq__ is fetched directly from newbie's class, not from
> newbie.

Yup!  One of the differences between new-style and old-style classes.

To see why something has to be a bit like this, consider the
difference between a unbound method for the instance and a bound
method for the *type* of the instance...

[biggo snippo]

> Can I use __metaclass__ or something?

I think that's what you want, yes.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Ignoring the rules in the FAQ: 1" slice in spleen and prevention
    of immediate medical care.