What GUI toolkit looks the best?

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Thu Dec 11 11:34:49 EST 2003

"Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
news:7x65gn1jk5.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com...
> claird at lairds.com (Cameron Laird) writes:
> > I persist at this out of concern that I'm not making things clear.
> > My stake, incidentally, is that you be successful, not that you
> > use any particular toolkit.
> >
> > The second URL gives working code that you can use immediately in
> > your own applications to improve their appearance.  This is not an
> > extension or anything at all difficult or constraining; it's just
> > a little prologue that refines the standard Tkinter appearance.
> > It *is* in use, right now, in several applications that must have
> > professional appearances.  The first URL is about committee work,
> > essentially, that will fold the enhancements of the second URL
> > back into the standard Tk distribution.
>
> Oh cool.  The second screen shot on that page ("after") does look a
> lot better than the "before" shot.  I guess I'll look at it more
> carefully, but Tkinter has always made me cringe because of its use of
> tcl (why does it need its own extension language if Python itself is
> supposed to be such a good one)?  Thanks.

And that is what is called a "real good question." I believe that
you're supposed to be able to use the Tk libraries without using
TCL, but the people that wrote Tkinter weren't able to make it
work. I don't, however, know this for a fact, it's just something
that's bouncing around the old synapses...

John Roth