HTML data extraction?

djw dwelch91.nospam at comcast.net
Mon Dec 22 15:00:08 EST 2003

I don't know if there is anything at a higher level (I guess a Google
session would tell you that), but doing what you describe with the
HTMLParser module is very straightforward. All you have to do is keep
some state flags in the derived HTMLParser class that indicate the
found/not-found state of what you are looking for and have that control
the collection of data between the flags.

Starting with the example in the docs, and adding some (untested) additions:

from HTMLParser import HTMLParser

class MyHTMLParser(HTMLParser):

     def __init__( self ):
         HTMLParser.__init__( self )
         self.in_bold_tag = False
         self.in_list_tag = False
         self.data_in_bold_list = ''

     def handle_starttag(self, tag, attrs):
         print "Encountered the beginning of a %s tag" % tag
         if tag == 'b': self.in_bold_tag = True
         if tag == 'li' : self.in_list_tag = True

     def handle_endtag(self, tag):
         print "Encountered the end of a %s tag" % tag
         if tag == 'b': self.in_bold_tag = False
         if tag == 'li' : self.in_list_tag = False

     def handle_data( self, data ):
         if self.in_bold_tag and self.in_list_tag:
             self.data_in_bold_list = ''.join( [ self.data_in_bold_list,
data ] )

This is just an outline, but you get the idea...

-Don