How to graph two columns of x,y numbers?

Todd Gardner piir at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 8 20:00:23 EST 2003

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<3FD4C763.488579C1 at engcorp.com>...
> Todd Gardner wrote:
> >
> > Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<3FD3E423.B53D23DE at engcorp.com>...

> > > Yes, include more detail about what you want to do.  Specifically,
> > > what platform, do you care if it's wxPython, or Tkinter, or something
> > > else, etc.  There are about a zillion possible answers to your
> > > question as it stands, and "python graphing" or something on Google
> > > would likely get you a lot of mileage right now.  Maybe after you
> > > do a little research there you can come back with a more detailed
> > > question?
> >
> > There are LOTS of plotting choices on google.  I guess I would like to
> > narrow them down by tapping into some expertise.
> >
> > I would like to do 2D and possibly 3D plotting with python.  I am
> > tending toward wxpython because of it's ease of use.
>
> You still haven't really given any information about your goals.  Is
> this program just for visualization of static data?

Yes.

> Anything dynamic?

At this point no.

I would like to say something like plot(x,y) for 25,000 points.

> Who's the audience?

Engineers and scientists.

> Do you need to do printing of the same output?

Yes, I would like to print, save and possibly load the graph.

> How precisely does the printed version need to match the screen?

WYSIWYG

> Is this part of a program that you will be giving to others, or
> is it just for personal use?

I would like to compile this program and bundle it with my application
and sell it on a single user basis.  It is to be bundled with a larger
electrical engineering consulting job.

> Do you have any limitations with respect
> to the platform used?  Linux only?  Windows only?  Both?  Neither?

Mandrake Linux and Windows 2000/XP.

> And you can probably add another dozen questions to the mix.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.  Thanks for making me
get the specs down a bit more precise.

Todd