Is Python your only programming language?

Van Gale news at exultants.org
Thu Aug 14 10:17:52 EDT 2003

Nick Vargish wrote:
> So what programming language actually does bridge the gap between
> "thousands of lives depend on the code working right" and "getting
> this up and running quickly"?

I would hope that there would be pressure for "up and quickly" when
thousands of lives are at stake :)  So, the only choice in that case is
doing it properly.

I think that Ada is one of the few languages capable of being used on
"lives depend on it" systems.  It's not anything special about the
language in particular, but rather the immense amount of man-hours and
time spent in writing checking and analysis tools.  That includes tools
that can verify an Ada program will meet real-time requirements.  This
kind of tool is really sophisticated (obviously) and would probably be
impossible to code for anything but a strong static typed language.