PyChecker work with Python 2.3?

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Mon Aug 4 18:59:06 EDT 2003

achrist at easystreet.com wrote in message news:<3F2EB773.4895B5DD at easystreet.com>...

> The only change required in my sources is evidently that the csv
> module no longer has a parser(); it's a reader(aFile).

Python doesn't break version-to-version compatibility like that. You
have to pay lots of money to software vendors to get them to do that
to you.

No, "the" csv module is new in 2.3. Under 2.2 you had been using "a"
3rd party extension, written by Dave Cole. Same name, similar purpose,
different contents.

Another case: the 'optik' 3rd party extension was sanctified as
'optparse'. Different name, mostly same contents.

Hint: before upgrading to a new Python version, check what extensions
you have in your site-packages directory. Read "what's new in Python
m.n". Some of the site-packages you may have trialled and abandoned,
most will need to be upgraded to be compatible with the new Python
version (especially if you are running Windows), and in a few cases
(e.g. csv and optik) you may want to switch to a new module, requiring
changes to your source.