Python and Web Hosting

Paul Rubin http
Fri Aug 8 23:53:57 EDT 2003

"Ken Fettig" <kenfettig at btinet.net> writes:
> Hello, I am begining to learn the Python language and I am enjoying its
> flexibility. I do have a question. I am considering using Python for web
> development. I have found that a huge number of web hosts offer support for
> PHP. How hard is it to find a Web Host that will allow you to you to run
> your own Python scripts, web or app server, template engine (Zope or
> Cheetah)?  If it is not, is it comparable in cost?

There are some hosts that let you run Python scripts.  They're not as
easy to find as PHP hosts, but they're out there.  Sometimes they don't
always have the latest version, and so forth.

Another possibility is to run a host or virtual host of your own.
That lets you install any software you want.  It's a bit more
expensive than basic web hosting, and you have to do more of your own
system administration, but it's much more flexible.

See http://www.usermodelinux.org for pointers to some providers.