Capture output from stderr

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Aug 5 23:47:10 EDT 2003

In article <mailman.1060136229.29900.python-list at python.org>, Jeff Epler wrote:

>> I've always used a read handler for this in the past, and it worked fine.
>> I don't have an example handy...

I was about to look up my example program, but you beat me to it. ;)

> Here's a little program I just put together, it shows the output from a
> command in a scrolling text area, using popen and
> _tkinter.createfilehandler.

[...]

> import Tkinter, _tkinter, fcntl, os, sys
>
> p = os.popen(command, "r")
> pf = p.fileno()
>
> # Make reads from the popen'd command nonblocking
> # (so read returns the bytes available without waiting)
> fcntl.fcntl(pf, fcntl.F_SETFL, os.O_NONBLOCK)
>

> def readfunc(fileobj, event_type):
> 	bytes = p.read()

I always use os.read(pf) rather than the file object's read method to gaurd
against cases where the file descriptor is readable when the file object
isn't. I don't know if that ever really happens, but it seemed to be the
safe thing to do.  I suspect that your setting the file descriptor to
non-blocking accomplishes the same thing.

> 	if bytes == '':
> 		bytes = "***END OF OUTPUT***"
> 		t.wm_title("%s - COMPLETED - tktail" % command)
> 		_tkinter.deletefilehandler(p)
[...]

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I need "RONDO".
                                  at