Almost uneventful FAQ Wizard setup - except for Globalname error!!

tls januarytwentyfirst2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 16:52:33 EDT 2003

Hi,
By following the README found in the faqwiz directory under the python
2.3 distribution, I was able to get FAQ WIZARD up and running in no
time with no trouble.  This is good since I'm a PC/Windows user trying
to make the switch to linux and was already patting myself on the back
for getting apache up and running.

The FAQ works.  I added several categories (actually in the faqconf.py
file), and added several questions.  However, when I edit an answer
and press the COMIT button, I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/var/www/cgi-bin/faqw.py", line 28, in ?
    import faqwiz
  File "/usr/people/nogard/python/faqwiz/faqwiz.py", line 841, in ?
    wiz.go()
  File "/usr/people/nogard/python/faqwiz/faqwiz.py", line 389, in go
    meth()
  File "/usr/people/nogard/python/faqwiz/faqwiz.py", line 743, in
do_review
    self.commit(entry)
  File "/usr/people/nogard/python/faqwiz/faqwiz.py", line 811, in
commit
    emit(LOGHEADER, self.ui, os.environ, date=date, _file=tfn)
NameError: global name 'tfn' is not defined

(times: user 0.12, sys 0.05, ch-user 0.01, ch-sys 0.07, real 0.56)

when I look in faqwiz.py, it looks to me (lots of programming
experience in several languags, python not one of them) as if tfn is
indeed undefined and that what it really wants is "_file=tn" since tn
is a tempfile that has been just opened (I think).  However, chaning
tfn to tn results in slightly different errors.

Now when I hit reload in mozilla, FAQ WIZARD says that there was an
error and that the change was not made.  BUT, the change has been
made.

Please help.

One more question.  If I wanted to wipe the FAQ clean, how would I do
this?  I tried on a seperate install (different computer) to delete
all files in my FAQDIR (including the RCS subdir) but faqwiz somehow
remembered where it was in the numbering scheme and kept saying "stop
changing the entry numbers".

thanks in advance, you'll be helping a lost soul escape the clutches
of Bill Gates!

januarytwentyfirst2003 at yahoo.com