Celebrity advice

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Sat Aug 30 02:25:21 EDT 2003

Quoth "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu>:
| "Cliff Wells" <clifford.wells at comcast.net> wrote in message
| news:mailman.1062150716.7297.python-list at python.org...
|> I'd have to agree with Art on this.  ESR's thoughts on guns have little
|> to do with programming, and unless he likes to use "nra" or "bullet" as
|> metavariables, his politics would best be omitted from the discussion.
|
| I recomment his new book The Art of Unix Programming
| (text online here http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/)
| to anyone interested in the topic.

I skimmed through the opening chapters there, and for me I think
there's a thread of similarity between the political thinking
I've read attributed to him here, and how he writes about UNIX.

Not that the politics are similar, just that I think I would
indeed encourage the reader to take some caution with his
account of what UNIX is about with a grain of salt, as with
the politics.  Compare with what you know from experience,
and if it seems like one or the other must be an illusion,
it isn't you.  Of course that applies to any author, I don't
mean to be particularly critical of this one and there may
be stuff in there of great practical value.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com