What's better about Ruby than Python?

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Thu Aug 21 12:25:17 EDT 2003

Anton Vredegoor wrote:
> IMO there is a strong tendency towards unification and standardization
> among the readers of this newsgroup and the need to conform and the
> rewards this brings are well understood.

Your comment reminds me of a brouhaha over the legendary IF* macro
(search comp.lang.lisp via Google). A fellow cooked up (IF* [THEN] ...
ELSE or ELSE-IF ... END-IF), and then used it in a big package his
employer released (so you had to go find the macro!). He took a little
heat for that, the gist being, "if you want to use Basic, use Basic."

Unrelated to macros, on Google you'll also see yours truly getting
eviscerated for using camelCase. "Dude, we use hyphens".

So, yeah, yer technically opening up the floodgates, but the social
pressure is pretty effective at keeping Lisp Lispy and would be at
keeping Python...Pythonic?

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc