OT: Dying Americans

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Fri Aug 29 14:32:19 EDT 2003

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters <mertz at gnosis.cx> writes:

> Dave Brueck <dave at pythonapocrypha.com> wrote previously:
[...]
> However, the CDC lists 2804 deaths from adverse effects in medical care,
> or about 1 per 100k.
[...]

I'm very surprised -- that sounds way too low.  Where is this category
defined?

Even when carefully defined in some sensible way, there must be big
uncertainties due to the present lack of knowledge about drug
interactions, and about other treatments causing hard-to-measure
increases in mortality over the long term.  Epidemiology is a blunt
instrument, and we're still at an early stage in understanding
diseases.

Erm, anyone know the figures for mortality due to Pythons? <wink>

John