advice choosing IDE

Ludovico Magnocavallo ludo at asiatica.org
Mon Aug 18 12:16:55 EDT 2003

> What IDE would you recommend for someone who needs easiness of use with
> a background of Pascal and VB for MS Office?  I've definitely changed to
> Linux now and I would like a free IDE either for procedural or object
> oriented programming.

J (http://www.armedbear.org/) is more an editor than an IDE, though it
does offer basic support for Python (indentation, syntax highlighting, a
simple code browser), but it's a very nice editor especially for someone
coming from the windows world.

It's written in Java so it should run out of the box on most modern Linux
distributions (recent versions require Java 1.4).

Spend a few minutes reading its help on preferences, it's worth it.

Good luck!

Ludo