Python's biggest compromises

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-benfinney-does-too.id.au
Sat Aug 2 19:25:48 EDT 2003

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 23:31:44 GMT, Andy C wrote:
> OK, then unless I'm missing something, tabs vs. spaces shouldn't
> matter for you.  The editor should be able to handle tabs in a
> satisfactory manner as well.

Not if spaces *and* tabs are used for indentation within the one file.
Without editor-specific hacks (the "vim:" comment line, the Emacs mode
line, etc.) there's no way to know what size the previous person's
editor had tab stops set to.  The standard size of a tab stop is 8, but
many programmers change this in their editors, resulting in indentation
that gets completely messed up when the tabs are shown at 8 columns
against other lines in the same file that use spaces for indentation.

--
 \                   "The best is the enemy of the good."  -- Voltaire |