detecting document changes

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Wed Aug 27 04:12:30 EDT 2003

"Cliff Wells" <logiplex at qwest.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.1061844289.14171.python-list at python.org>...
> On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 02:36, Alessandro Crugnola *sephiroth* wrote:
> > How can I intercept document changes for active documents (for example
> > modified with others external editors)?
>
> If you're on Linux (and perhaps other Unices) you can use FAM

Don't know if this is exactly what you're
after, but there are a couple of recipes
on the Cookbook:

This one deals with Linux:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/217829

and this one with Win32:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/156178

The MSDN docs on FindFirstChangeNotification
tell you which flags you need to use for
modification (as opposed to addition etc.):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/base/findfirstchangenotification.asp

HTH
TJG