What's better about Ruby than Python?

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Tue Aug 19 18:38:13 EDT 2003

Nick Vargish <nav+posts at bandersnatch.org> writes:

> jjl at pobox.com (John J. Lee) writes:
>
> > read everything slowly, chew the cud, *then* start writing.  I read
> > the whole of Stroustrup and a couple of other books before writing a
>
> I couldn't get past the first chapter of Stroustrup... Maybe because
> I'd already been working with C++, it read like a pile of
> justifications for what I consider a bastardization of an elegant
> foundation. (So, I like C but dislike C++, what can I say?)

I agree.  In C++, where you see a book section heading like "Feature
X, Feature Y and Feature Z", it means that X, Y and Z have some
horrendous interactions that you have to commit to memory.  In Python,
it means that X, Y and Z are so simple they all fit in one section ;-)

I do wonder if the tight constraint on C++ of being C+extra bits was
ever really justified.

John