Error with Python 2.3 as a shared Library

Kiyo Kelvin Lee kiyolee*remove* at hongkong.com
Thu Aug 14 08:30:36 EDT 2003

You need to add /whatever/lib to the path for searching .so files.
If you are root, normally you may edit /etc/ld.so.conf to add the path permanently.
If you are not root, you can set the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

for sh: export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/whatever/lib
for csh: setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /whatever/lib

or simply use the env command:

env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/whatever/lib python

Note that this is nothing special to python but normal behaviour of Linux or Linux like operating systems including many Unices.

Regards,
Kiyo