large-scale app development in python?

gabor gabor at z10n.net
Fri Aug 22 10:42:28 EDT 2003

hi,

at the company where i'm working we have to rewrite a part of our
java-based application in a different language.

there were many options, at the end python and c++ remained.

our program is quite big, so c++ was an obvious choice.

python remained because we have to finish the rewrite in a reasonable
time, and python has all the necessary libraries or bindings that we
need.

but i got a question, that i couldn't answer:
-you can't compile python, as you can c++ or java => there's no type
checking before starting the program => if one programmer changes a
method name or method signature, then how do we know we changed all the
code that calls that method?

how do you solve these kind of problems? i know that unit tests are a
good thing, but i don't know if they can help in this situation?

are there any people who wrote a big program in python? how did they
handle these problems?

or python simply isn't suited to write bigger (more complex) apps?

thanks,
gabor

--
That's life for you, said McDunn.  Someone always waiting for someone
who never comes home.  Always someone loving something more than that