how fast is Python?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Aug 21 11:06:19 EDT 2003

dan wrote:

> However, there are definitely cases where a lot of code would need to
> be optimized, and so I ask the question:  How fast is Python, compared
> to say a typical optimizing C/C++ compiler?

C is roughly 10 to 100 times faster than Python, though of course it's
easy to find cases outside of this range, on either side.

I use 30 as a general overall rule of thumb, in the exceptionally
few cases where it seems relevant how much faster C would be.

And in those very few cases, so far, I have consistently concluded
I'm happy enough with the speed of Python given that the speed of
*development* in Python is easily 5 to 10 times faster than the
speed of development in C.  (And again, it's easy to find cases
outside of this range, on either side...)

-Peter